Welcome to the personal blog of student,
writer and occasional bum Eli James. More...

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Two Songs

After coming back on the camp, i booted up the com and started hunting for two songs. The first was Delirious's History Maker. I had no problems with that one, since it had a clean, clear pop sound, and was part of the major theme in the camp. Heard it played by the Bethany youth members and loved it. Downloaded it and loved it even more.

Now the 2nd one was a little risky. Thomas had denounced it as 'Black Metal Music', without actually knowing what that tag meant. Black Metal Music is a genre, not a lyrically-wrong-towards-God song. Caleb defended it, however, saying he had no problem with the message. I either disliked Thomas so much i downloaded it, or i liked Caleb's attitude and was influenced by Breakaway mag. After all, the band we were talking about is considered something of a pioneer in Christian music.

I went and got DC Talk - Jesus Freak. And loved it. The song is something of a cross between The Used and Gorrillaz, with weird guitar dischords in the bridge and played in a defiant (against the world, but for God) minor. Plus the background audio experimentation! Oh YES! Why didn't i get this song when i first heard about it, a looong time ago?

They were talking about being proud of your religion and not hiding it. Who cares about the world and what they say about you? Although it was a little weird at first, for it did not glorify God straight on, you can really feel the message coming through the lyrics. Where's Thomas's ears? In a chinese school somewhere, not reading behind the lines of simple english verses?

Ish.

Lyrics for Jesus Freak
[what will people think
When they hear that I’m a jesus freak?
What will people do
When they find that’s it’s true? ]

Separated, I cut myself clean
From a past that comes back in my darkest of dreams
Been apprehended by a spiritual force
And a grace that replaced all the me I’ve divorced

I saw a man with tat on his big fat belly
It wiggled around like marmalade jelly
It took me a while to catch what it said
Cause I had to match the rhythm
Of his belly with my head
’jesus saves’ is what it raved in a typical tattoo green
He stood on a box in the middle of the city
And claimed he had a dream

(chorus)
What will people think
When they hear that I’m a jesus freak
What will people do when they find that it’s true
I don’t really care if they label me a jesus freak
There ain’t no disguising the truth

Kamikaze, my death is gain
I’ve been marked by my maker
A peculiar display
The high and lofty, they see me as weak
Cause I won’t live and die for the power they seek

There was a man from the desert with naps in his head
The sand that he walked was also his bed
The words that he spoke made the people assume
There wasn’t too much left in the upper room
With skins on his back and hair on his face
They thought he was strange by the locusts he ate
The pharisees tripped when they heard him speak
Until the king took the head of this jesus freak

(repeat chorus 2x)

People say I’m strange, does it make me a stranger
That my best friend was born in a manger
People say I’m strange, does it make me a stranger
That my best friend was born in a manger

(repeat chorus 2x)

What will people think
[what will people think]
What will people do
[what will people do]
I don’t really care
[what else can I say]
There ain’t no disguising the truth
[jesus is the way]

No comments: