It is 2am and I'm filling my bottles with hot water, from the shared dispenser in Block 4. I meet Kris, who's in Comp Engineering, and there's this other guy with him. They're both buying food from the junk-food vendor.
"Wow, up late." I say, stirring my noodles.
"Yah, going back now."
"And you?"
The other guy gets his packet of chips. He pauses and looks up at us. Grins. "Oh, just got back from practice."
"At 2am?!" I say; "From where?" Kris says.
"School of music; I'm a music student."
We stare at him, blankly.
"Woww ..."
"Yes -"
"What instrument?"
"Oh, piano - "
"And the school of music is open till this hour?!"
"Oh yes," he says, "We got about 40 practice rooms in the conservatory. All grand pianos."
"Grand pianos?!" Kris and I say, together.
"Yes." He laughs.
"Is it hard? I mean - the course, is it hard?"
"Oh yes. Very. I mean - I practice until 2, right?"
We talk about a few other things, and then I gather my bottles and my mug full of noodles, and gesture towards my block. "Got to go now."
"Okay," Kris says, and then - as an afterthought: "You going to sleep?"
I don't pause: "No," I say.
"I thought so."
Kris nods, the music guy smiles understandably, and I return to my room.
Saturday, November 14, 2009
Vignettes
Tags:
School,
University
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
HAHAHA! The music guys don't even have exams to sit one! LOL, I think they go through a completely different education system compared to us! LOL!
Good luck Ced, I hope it's not too late! You don't have any paper today, do you?
Nope that I don't. Good luck to you too, Val! =)
PS: I just checked with music guy - he says that they do have exams(!) - both practical and theoretical. Pretty cool, actually. Each of their recitals is attended to by three judges.
Post a Comment