Welcome to the personal blog of student,
writer and occasional bum Eli James. More...

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Cooking

I'm beginning to really enjoy cooking for others. Made beef burgers the other day, and invited Divyanshu, Tay, and Zakil over for dinner.

Not very many pictures of the food. I was too busy to do anything other than move things on and off the pan.

"Maybe I should cook for linuxNUS," I said, absentmindedly, as I mixed flour into the bowl of minced beef. I had to mince the beef myself, earlier in the afternoon, since that was the only way to make halal patties in Singapore. (It is, by the way, really hard to be a Muslim - and/or a vegetarian - in the city state).

"Not a good idea," Div said, sitting by the table with Tay's iPad cradled in his arms, "You'll probably never be free again."

I took a lump of minced meat, shaped it into a patty, and dumped it onto the pan, now simmering in low heat. I had miscalculated the amount of egg I put in earlier and was testing to see if the patty was still okay.

A couple minutes later I took it off, put it on a bun, spread chili, mayo, placed a lettuce leaf and a couple of cucumbers and tomatoes, and sliced it into quarters. Div and Tay took a piece each. "Oh," Div said, eyes wide. "Mmmmh." Tay mumbled, from the other end of the room.

"Maybe you should cook for linuxNUS."

There is a simple joy to cooking and sharing food with others. Burgers: done. Now on to other recipes.

Egg

8 comments:

LiZaRdboi_88 said...

...you guys over NUS actually have proper stove and pans and such at pantry?

We at USM only have microwave oven and electric kettle at best over our pantry!

Eli James said...

Yup, we've got stoves (though they're electric, and not flame-based). Pans we have to buy. We've also got a microwave oven, a proper oven (as in for baking), an electric kettle and a fridge.

That said, the room rent, when converted, is also exorbitant. So ... fair la.

Anonymous said...

Eli James ... Bo Jio... :)

WILSON :)

LiZaRdboi_88 said...

A FRIDGE! Oh, the humanity~~

...but yeah, most of the Malaysian universities' hostel/RC/Desa (USM's term) are considerably affordable (sometimes dirt cheap). SGD vs RM~~

Melody said...

cooking :) i shall bake a new family recipe (WHOLE CHICKEN YUMMY TO THE CARCASS) the next time we meet. :D

Ida said...

yes a FAMILY recipe. and that requires all family members to be in NO? =3 =3 =3 =3 =3 =3 =3 =3

Eli James said...

I sense chicken glomping in the near future. ;-)

Robin Wong said...

You really remind me of my uni days.
Everything was so expensive in Perth, as a poor student I had to cook and eat in to survive.
There were three of us in the house, we took turns to cook (dinners only, we cooked extra to be left over for lunch next day) hence each of us had to cook only twice a week. Sunday is the day we ate out, so come to think of it cooking twice a week was not too bad after all.
You should have tried what interesting stuff we have "created". I really did love cooking. Alas, working life does not permit enough time to do so. It does not allow any time to do anything at all !!