Friday, December 26, 2008
The Sounding Board Of The Universe
Having a big-assed camera is starting to make me lazy. It's so much easier, for instance, to shoot a picture and let the image do the talking for you, particularly if said camera allows you to do fancy shwag like bokehs or zomg-freeze-in-the-air action shots.
But that's digressing.
I've been thinking, lately, about teenagers. About how we deal with our problems. Not too long ago, just a few days after the STPM, I was sitting at McD with a friend I hadn't seen for awhile. I ordered a fish burger and we sat down and he immediately burst forth into a tirade of his college course, his problems, his idiot group members, his crazy lecturers, his even crazier year-end project, his friend who has brain-cancer-and-is-depressed-and-dresses-like-a-goth and other topics to that effect. Some things were about pretty decent stuff, but my friend had that unnatural and highly peculiar knack of making everything sound like the end of the world.[1]
I was torn in two. Part of me wanted to empathize with him, wanted to be a good listener and to uh and ah at all the right moments, to ask questions about several semi-interesting details, to allow this friend of mine to vent through me. But the other part of me wanted to yell at him: "you're talking to somebody who's just finished the bloody STPM, one of the friggin hardest pre-U examinations in the country, who the friggin shit are you trying to kid?" It wasn't that I had no excuse not to - as far as I could remember, this particular friend had nothing but horrible things to say about most of the stuff that had happened to him. I was fed up and raw after my exams, and it really wasn't the best time for me to do listening. So I shut up and proceeded to ignore him, and I turned to the other end of the table where a whole bunch of people were making fun of McD's twister fries.
Did I do the right thing? I'm not sure. Since about age 15 there has always been a tendency for people to open up and talk to me about their problems and their feelings and whatever cool/shitty stuff they'd seen/felt/heard that week. I'm not telling you this with pride, nor am I telling you this so you can go out there and start bombarding me with trivia: it's just the truth. And I'm not the only one who's experienced this - two of my friends: Wen Qi, Paul, both tell me that they sometimes feel the same way I do: as collective sounding boards for the universe. And I'm pretty sure that there are hundreds more who feel and act the same way - who attract their problem-ridden friends like some perverse fire hydrant put down by God for people to pee on.
I have a theory for this phenomenon, and it goes something like this: the people whom act as sounding boards are most often the ones we see as secure and mature and who aren't (relatively) as self-absorbed as their peers. It's a subconscious evaluation that takes place, very subtly, in our respective social circles, and very often not even the sounding boards themselves are aware of it. And I do suppose that in some sense it's a fair deal, because these sounding boards are granted immense influence: Paul, for instance, has perfected a fine art of modifying your perspective on things without actually revealing anything about his own - something that's infinitely useful when you're dealing with difficult, treacherous people.
But that really isn't my problem with the whole sounding board affair. My problem is that these sounding boards occasionally need sounding boards of their own. There is no such thing as a completely secure, self-possesed man, much as I'd actually like to be one. So when we stumble or fall and feel downright horrible, we often find it very hard to vent. The problem is two-fold: firstly, almost all our friends turn on rant mode the instant they sit down with us, and it's very hard for us to change what is an established, patient habit. But the second problem is that we've forgotten how to open ourselves up, how to completely trust in some other secure, mature, non-self-absorbed individual. And that is probably the most dangerous illusion a sounding board can conjure: that he or she is everyone's confidante, and he/she is above all of them. It's a hole, for sure, that I'm trying to get out of.
My friend from McD isn't really related to the sounding board problem - his is another teenaged disease, one that I suppose is unescapable for all of us. Everyone has a tendency to blow our own problems into overwhelming, mind-boggling proportions, in the hopes for attracting sympathy, or perhaps attention. But there is a paradoxical truth about popularity and attention: self-absorbed people are often the most boring people to be around with. Some can get around this by being rich or good looking, but as we grow older, and our social circles begin to settle into contented shapes, these personality attributes become obstacles rather than enablers to love and attention.[2]
I still have to wonder, you know, if I should've faced off with my friend and told him exactly what I thought of all that complaining. But that wouldn't be empathetic, would it? And there'd also be the tricky prospect of judgement in such action - judgement being something that I'm adverse to for reasons far too academic and theological to be listed here. And if I don't empathize and I judge from an imagined high ground, would this mean that I'm a bad friend, that I suck because I'm not there for them everytime they need me? Or is there some little switch at the back of my head that's supposed to prevent me from listening whenever I'm feeling particularly vulnerable myself, and to shut myself off from being a sounding board too often to be good?
I think I should stop here, though - the bottom line is far away, and in the end we're all just kids in various stages of growth, and the fine divisions between all these evaluative thought-traps are too tricky for me to finish exploring in one piece of writing. So I'll close here, and ... (I can't help this, really) gimme a hydrant, mate, I need to pee.
1.I recently wrote a piece, entitled Hindsight, that is guilty of the exact same whiny, complaining tone. No wonder I wasn't happy with it. ↩
2.This might also explain why teenage suicide is so common. Though, if you really think about it, suicide is nothing more than the most selfish form of complaining ever invented by the juvenile mind. ↩
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


28 comments:
Prashoot prashoot=)
I dnt know what to say to this post. but you need a parachute :D
A huge one. to fly the sounding boards around the universe:D
I was about to post this:
Nothing can beat an opening with Durex, followed by
"I've been thinking, lately, about teenagers. About how we deal with our problems."
Watch and learn people! XDXD
"And I'm not the only one who's experienced this - two of my friends: Wen Qi, Paul, both tell me that they sometimes feel the same way I do: as collective sounding boards for the universe."
My problem is actually a little different. I don't mind hearing my friends out as most of them face really tough challenges. And if they are feeling pain I don't see how it's possible not to feel a nagging twinge also. My problem is more toward telling them what I think of this universe XD
And them talking about how to drive expensive sports cars and going to places to shop or eat; which will make me feel alienated. Other than that it's a two way thing- they listen to me and help me also, sometimes at their own expense.
But then you called, so I read my comment to you =(
@Ida: *poof: magically summons parachute and jumps out window*
PS: YAY ANOTHER SHUGO TOKUMARU FAN YAY
@Paul: Oh trust me, it was a lot nicer hearing it from you with voice. =) Thank you.
Reaches for the *Zip mouth Shut* button.
Mmmh, I have a very strong feeling that in our dreams, God repeatedly tells people Cedric shall be his stand-in when he's unreachable.
But hey, maybe it isn't God and just the dream.
Eitherways, whenever you need to rant, button is around.
be flattered that people see you as a soundboard. not so many enjoy the priviledge of being respected enough to be a soundboard to everyone. obviously people respect you enough to tell you their problems and hope to get some comforting words in return.
i get that all the time. and very often, the people i listen to aren't the people i'll rant to. everyone is someone's listener and ranter but it's not very often that someone's both to the same person.
i get tired of it sometimes. but i'd rather think of it as 'do unto others as you would have them do unto yourself'
so if you want for yourself a soundboard, obviously others want one themselves, and they chose YOU. ^^
so shuddup and listen.
it ain't so bad when you stop thinking that you yourself have problems to deal with.
=D
@Sam: I'll keep that in mind, thanks. =) And I really need to trust people more.
@Anon: That is REALLY good advice. Though I must admit sometimes, with friends who just can't see the bright side of things, my patience runs down a little.
'i get that all the time. and very often, the people i listen to aren't the people i'll rant to. everyone is someone's listener and ranter but it's not very often that someone's both to the same person.'
Amen wow. That's really, really good advice. Really. *whistles*
Thanks.
-_- seriously what made your mind wonder if they came with instructions.
Oh I don't know. Haven't opened them yet, so I've no idea if they come with "WARNING: DO NOT REUSE" labels.
"...perverse fire hydrant put down by God for people to pee on."
...That's one disturbing imagery you got there, Ced. ROFLMAO
And I think there is an instruction book (complete with illustration)inside the box if I am not mistaken. You never know that there is idiot out there who dunno how to put on a condom properly lolx!
@Zhe Rong: but powerful, no? I like that particular sentence very much.
Well I'm not going to open it yet, so I've no idea whether that's true or not. Why don't you get some friends to give it to you as a birthday present? Like, erm, Tay and Andrew and Dwen, for instance ... ;-)
sounding board indeed. haha.
im hungrayyyy damn i want twister friesssss
where are you going next year? are you going to canada?? hehe
@Jyl: and freeze in the recession? Nah not likely, especially not with the conservatives in power for another term. =(
I LIKE TWISTER FRIED TOO!! YUMMYYYYY!!!
@ Ced: lol no need for that. I might have one or two individual packets of condom that I get as freebies somewhere inside my room. And I blew a condom balloon before so I think I have most of the necessary condom experience already. LOLX
And agreed with Anon regarding the sounding board issues, the fact that people is seeking you for refuge means that you are pretty much respected and regarded as a soothing character.
And I wan Twister fries!!! *going out to the closest McD*
Wow. To be honest, I haven't considered you as a sounding board, unless I have subconsciously done so without consciously intending to.
Then again, it IS a priviledge and, to a certain extent, a power you wield over certain individuals. With great power comes great responsibility I guess.
Then again, in a few days time you'll no longer be considered a teenager. =)
What are you doing with that?????!
At first I was going to say: Well, you're certainly playing around with your camera.
And then: Why do you have that in the first place anyway?!
Do your parents know? -________- Lol.
--
But that's why people choose to talk to the people you call sound boards... because they'll listen.
@Zhe Rong: OMG serious?! I WANT GO COLLEGE GET FREE CONDOMS TOO! =3
@Nick: I still have a full year left as a teenager - birthday's late in the year, remember? And, I think I'd like to append my original theory: sounding boards are often people who have a tendency to respect other people as individuals in their own right.
@Audrey: friends gave it to me as a birthday present. Probably a joke. Yes my parents know.
I'm not sure I understand your move, but I'll point out the fact that you'll be considered 20 years old anyway. A very sad fact of the way we classify years.
Oh dear yes. I think I've just aged twice.
oh yeah. they do come with instructions XD
hahhaha..
im going back to kch on the 18th of jan. you owe me twister fries :) come to my house fr cny!!
oh yeah. im reading the virgin suicides. haven't finished it yet. haha. random.
Virgin suicides! Good? Urm yeah no problem. I hope they do carry the twister fries promotion until the 18th, coz frankly their prosperity meal sucks and should be pulled asap. (zomg I know so much about McD fattttt!!!)
The prosperity burger sucks la.. taste exactly the same as my college rm3 burger... as if they use the same pepper sauce also.
Ok.. lol.. that had totally nothing to do with your post.
I like fire hydrants? =)
Urm ... this has nothing to do with your comment.
Happy new year, dan!
Hey there :) dropping by via Ember's blog and so I think it will only be nice for me to leave a comment on this fantastic blog. I've never spent so much time combing through someone else's archive *weak smiles* very captivating writings you have over here.
Anyway, speaking of sounding boards... I am one. I don't mind to be one but I can understand how irritating is it that people complain about the most trivial things on earth in a really whiny tone 24/7. I am a listener, and perhaps it's because I listen to so many people and things that I stopped talking to people about what I feel inside. It just became a one-way round somewhere 2~3 years ago. I find that while I can tolerate people's ramblings and complains, I'm afraid that others won't - that's why I've stopped pouring my heart out to my friends, save that few very close ones (and they're even spared from many deep dark secret of mine).
I couldn't agree more with you that suicide is something stupid. I've been through a period of depression and contemplated it, but in the end I deemed it to be something that will not only bring suffering to people around me, but cause harm to them too. It just feels so good to be alive :)
Have a great week ahead! I'm so totally going to bookmark this.
After some thought, I've concluded that I am not a sounding board(thanks for not doubting me though). I am a curious board. Or a compassionate board.
And i'd think that unless there're aliens, then you could see some as the sounding boards of the universe, because only then will it be a universal trend. If not they're merely a sounding board of a globe of soil (that's degrading).
So do you believe in aliens?
ps: Do you know who's the pounding board of the universe! Ha, getting quite late now. Good night my friend.
A very strong thought provoking post. Soundboards...haha, we now have a term for people who are silent listeners.
Teddy: I'm glad you like my writing. =) Am now ploughing through your archives, and am wondering about the amount of time you put into crafting your theme. Awesomeness.
Paul: I DO! I mean, it's not improbable that there exists some aliens, SOMEWHERE, considering that the universe is so large and all ...
Reening: I'm glad you found it thought provoking. Which reminds me that I shouldn't be so serious all the time, on this blog. Need to do something funny. And soon. ;-)
hmm, either thought would be astonishing. Lots of unchartered beauty out there. Have you watched the dvd I lent you? So how are Superstrings and M-strings?
And before I forget, the star you'd want to look out for is Edward Witten of Advanced Studies, Princeton. He'll be commenting.
Haven't watched yet. Soon, when I can get away from some of my code bugs.
Post a Comment