I don't get photography. Different people take photographs for different reasons - some want to create pretty little things; others want to capture moments, still others want to tell stories. Photography can be all those things, and more. But I don't know what I see in it.
I'll be writing about photography soon, here at this blog. The piece I have in mind is in bits and pieces at the moment - some of them ideas, not ready for conversion to prose; some of them tactile curls of knowledge that I know are too little to write about. But that's off topic. This here photolog was taken a few days back between 12 to 2am, when I was bored stiff and tripod-sakai. They are photographs of the artificial light-sources in my house, at night.

Wall lamp. Staircase.

Night from my bedroom window. Most phone conversations have me staring out at this very neighbourhood.

USB cable and other electronic ephemera, neon glow from fan underbelly.

Upstairs desktop. Sister's thumbdrive. Cross.

This lamp sits at possibly the most central place in the whole house. Keys, pens, phones, thumb drives, charging docks. We grab and go.
Look at this post. Look at the lack of emotions, look at the the lack of stories. I don't like still-lives. Nothing to say with these pictures, folks, move along.

20 comments:
And my cry for the need of commenting forms is heard Aww.
I likey the first photo. Without your caption, I probably would have been staring it for a long time.
Still lives aren't all boring Cedric.
They tell stories too.
[=.= mothers shud not be allowed to blog]
They don't. At least, not night shots. Booooring. People are way better to photograph.
That looks like a part of my neighborhood........ Hmmmmm.
I like the wall lamp and the last lamp. :)
Uhoh. o.O Though, on the other hand, most Malaysian neighbourhoods DO look alike. I like the last one too. =)
I like the neighbourhood. There's a ufo at the window.
I like the first photo. It was interesting because it was (very) open to interpretation until you finally revealed what it was. Maybe that's your calling in photography?
@Cruxstone: I'm amazed you noticed that. And I've no idea what it really is - it appears in all the long exposure shots I have of that scene (about 7 in all) and that glow is in different places in each! Maybe it's a lens glow from some glass surface I hadn't checked, or something.
@Nick: Nah I doubt it. I want to tell stories. Two orbs of light is hardly a story. ;-)
Yeah, could be. I also think that the first is cool, though. Looks like a writhing lizard creature in a world of dark tunnels. So you have wings that evolved, becoming luminous. That must be an elder one since it's elevated on some sort of marble. You should name it- the lizard on the marble, ha.
I hear the fans at the back of your head kick into overdrive, Paul. Talk about overstretched imagination. =D
Hehehe.
Haha, 1 & 3 is nice. Dunno bout you but I seem to prefer macro shots more. haha, keep taking photos and you'll have an eye for making the mundane interesting sooner or later :P
I prefer people. More emotions. But if you prefer Macro, you should get yourself a macro lens - the current kit lenses aren't really good for closeups.
It isn't that bad actually. The first photo of the lamp reminded me of a type of frog.
And you have a wonderful view from your bedroom window!
*Btw, still life is pretty cool once you capture that mind blowing moment.
Haha, once I have some money, first thing i wanna get is a decent camera bag :S
Lenses is not the top on my list right now :P
@Reening: Are there any mind-blowing moments in still life? Sports or street photography maybe. But still lives? Don't think that's possible man ...
@Garrick: What, you mean your Sony didn't COME WITH A CAMERA BAG?! Gosh. Well, if you do like macros, a macro lens will be on your list sooner or later. =) Good luck in China!
heh, a decent camera bag would cost you a few hundred bucks. Cheapest I came across was RM250 for a Lowepro :S
I love the first photo! Especially how soft the glow on the wall is. Looks almost as though the lamps are floating. Whoah. =O
The last one appeals to me too. Can't figure out why though. Hrm.
But I've got to disagree with you when you say still-life lacks emotion. Look at your last photo. You've already told a story behind that very picture in its caption. ;)
@Garrick: yeah I know camera bags are expensive. It's actually recommended that you buy one that doesn't look like a camera bag. No idea how those look though, but I'm betting they'll be costly. Why don't you ask your dad to buy for you in Kuching? That way you won't have to spend a bunch.
@Ember: You've got a good point there. But there's no narrative arc to this collection of still lives, and it suffers for it. The last one works, btw, because it's symmetrical. Broke the rule of thirds because sometimes symmetry works. =)
A still life freezes a scene forever. It makes for quiet contemplation of the meaning behind the objects. The beauty is a silent kind. The one that whispers a story instead of bluntly shoving it in your face.
Still Life photography is often tricky. Unlike a blank canvas to which you add objects. You have a filled scene from which you subtract matter.
Photography doesn't need to be OMFGONIGIRIWOWSOAWESOME. It can also be a classic kind of silence. A good still life has the ability to shut a person up immediately and make him/her stand there, appreciating the picture.
agree
Post a Comment