Welcome to the personal blog of student,
writer and occasional bum Eli James. More...

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Heavy

I found out I was 64kg today.

That made me feel very bad. I went downstairs and opened the fridge and took out a bar of Elvan chocolate and finished that, and then I opened the larder and took out a bag of sugared cookies and finished that, and then I went to the dining room and opened a packet of Mentos and sucked on that.

Then I was better so I watched the Olympics until I felt thinner, and then I went back upstairs to stare at my Physics textbooks for the next four hours.

Which is all a lie.

But here's the sad fact: my lie isn't too far from the truth. Over the past 2 months I had been doing all of the above, only over the space of weeks, not hours. I hadn't been to the gym, played Judo or ran in those 60 days, and I had a bad shock when I stepped on the scales in the afternoon.

Let me clarify. Weighing yourself isn't as easy as jumping on a scale and screaming your head off. I stripped down to my underwear and distributed my weight evenly on the metal surface, and then I stared as the meter swiveled up, up past the 60 kg mark and onwards to the half-point. I was in my parents' bathroom - a completely weird thing to do and probably even weirder had they barged in. Imagine finding your teenage son near naked and staring at an analog meter.

Totally freaky.

(Oh and by the way, if you ever get the opportunity to play at a national level Judo tournament be sure to bring nice underwear. The weighing-in ceremony takes place in a roomful of opponents, random coaches and fierce-looking officials - in your underwear - so it makes sense to leave your pink playboys at home. I find it really distracting to fight against a guy in a thong - don't you?)

So anyway I found out I was 64 kg. Which meant that I was 4 kg overweight. I figured that at least 2 kg of that was water (I sweated out as much the last major tournament), and since I had not being gaining muscle in the past 2 months .... the other 2 kg was fat.

Damn.

I started running. I knew what I was getting myself into, but I strapped on my shoes and plugged in my iPod and got my dog all excited at the prospect of a walk. She rushed out wag wag wag. Poor girl.

And everything came back to me quickly. The slap of rubber on cement, the steady thump of beats from my earbuds, the smell of sweat as it trickled down my chin. And the pain! Oh how welcomed the pain was! A burning sensation reached out from inside my chest and spread its fingers down, past my solar plexus, stabbing right into the stomach muscles. It hurt so badly! Breathe. Stabofpain. Breathe. Wobbly legs. I thought back to the afternoons being yelled at by Sensei and kept at it.

The idea behind running is to maintain a rapid pulse, and to keep at it for a good period of time. 1 kg, for instance, takes approximately half an hour of aerobic running to burn. And my metabolic rate had skyrocketed after training this year - while my training intensity had gone down my hunger hadn't. I can now eat two packets of rice and still forage for cookies. D'oh.

I came back and stripped down and weighed myself again. The analog meter swung right up, up, past the 60 kg mark, and it settled at ... 64.

Dammit I'm fat.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

At your height, 64kg is not heavy! I'll calculate your BMI to be about 22, which is very normal! You, fat?! Gah.

Garrick said...

XD if you are fat then how bout me :P

LiZaRdboi_88 said...

And again, I am gonna use the very same quip when someone thinner than me talk about his own extra pound:

Then I must be OBESE. (which I am cos my BMI is 28 at last count.)

I am 88kg, sir!!!!!

Plus are you sure that your extra weight is not muscle? *cock eyebrow*

Sam said...

Stop stealing my lines.
It's unsettling.

Tracy said...

Gosh, you sound more like Cedrica??? (not sure how you would like to spell it) than Cedric in this post! Haha.

"Plus are you sure that your extra weight is not muscle? *cock eyebrow*"

That is a very valid argument, you know. Muscles do weight more than fat.

Besides, you are only 13-15 kg heavier than I am, so how can you possibly be overweight??? O.o

Eli James said...

@Wen Qi: It is it is it is it is it is!

@Garrick: you've always been one weight category above me. AND you've got the girlfriend. AND you've got the iPod Touch. Now I'm not saying one equals the other, but by George you MUST be doing something right!

@Zhe Rong: pretty sure. You see, no exercise for two months is hard to ignore. So any weight gain can't possibly be muscle.

@Sam: you know my opinion on you saying that line. XD

@Tracy: I am overweight because I am overweight! I'm in the U-60 kg category. I CANNOT allow myself to go up another weight category. For starters the people in the U-66 category are normally around 68 (and they bring their weight down for competitions) meaning they're stronger and heavier. So I'm letting a lot away in terms of weight there. And besides I want to have a rematch against the U-60 National champion. Been defeated twice by him already.

Revenge is sweet, is it not?

Zhang BeiHai said...

wow u're fat =P

Anonymous said...

Whatever you do, don't let Ana be your friend. :)

LET THE FAYAR OF YOUTH BURN!

...the fat away

Anonymous said...

omg!!! you have been infected with my disease! ahhhh just eat whatever you wantttt

Andrew said...

Huhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! 64kgs is fat? NO WAY!
Considering how long have I been stucked at 45-50 kgs, your weight is ideal.
I have a BMI of 16 I think.. 4 points below the ideal one. And I can't seem to gain weight.
I stop working out during the exams and it seems like I am losing even more weight. =_=

Eli James said...

@Joanne: Ana? Wait. Who?

@Jyl: totally. And ... considering that I eat way more ... me get fatter. Your disease! My fat!

@Andrew: your metabolic rate is scary. It's almost like Sam's. Ish.

Tracy said...

Oh, if that's the case, then you really should keep the weight down. It would be huge disadvantage if you moved up a category.

So, you better start dieting! =D

Eli James said...

Now THAT I didn't want to hear.

0.O

Anonymous said...

omg dont listen to her. you should embrace your fats :) be happy about yourself XD if you're fatter you can tackle and squash yr opponent better !!

Eli James said...

You are so cute sometimes Jyl.

Squash.

XD

MisC^2 said...

Eww...

Did you just squash her fer real man? (0_o)

It is not so bad, although you might have to get beaten up by bigger people in the U-66 category. =P I think you would look better if you put on a bit more weight! Maybe the chubbier Cedric would attract more girls, who knows? =D

Like what Jylene said, "Embrace your fats!!" XD

Garrick said...

I so totally agree :PPPPP

Eli James said...

That's it. I *insert Achmed voice* KILL BOTH OF YOU!

*growls*

PS: that was a quote! An innocent, non-action, non-verb quote! As in [quote]squash[/quote]. Not as in a [I squash Jylene coz she's so cute] quote!

AAARGGH CASSIE THE IMAGES!!

Anonymous said...

ewwww...no no dont squash me i'll die...no no noooo!!!!!!!!!!!

ahhhhh

go away leave me alone. no more squashing!

Eli James said...

XD