Welcome to the personal blog of student,
writer and occasional bum Eli James. More...

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Constipation Pushups

We are together in a circle, at the end of a training session. 20+ judokas, all sweating and tired and to some degree ready to crash. "Pushups!" Sensei shouted, "We go in a circle, with Anderson counting 10, and then Shahirah, and then Cedric, and Chong, and so on. 100 pushups!"

Shahirah did some quick maths. "Setiap orang 10 ... kami berhenti dengan Sensei la!"

I looked around and counted 10 people. Yes. The 90th to the 100th was Sensei's. Anderson started counting.

Judo pushups aren't like the normal ones you get in BB, or the very laughable ones the girls in GB do. They develop the glutes and broaden the shoulders, and they are the reason all judokas have well defined upper bodies.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
But whatever. So there we were, doing pushups, when Gan starts making this odd urhh urhh urhh sounds. They got louder and louder, and by the time we reached the 50s it was sounding very much like an old man with constipation.

"Oi!" Sensei shouted. "We see you people in Waterfront ... acting so macho with your girlfriend ... and then you come here and what do you get?"

"Siapa?" Shahirah asked. I jerked my head in Gan's direction - we usually saw him and his girlfriend in Judo competitions. She supporting him, of course.

Shahirah collapsed in laughter.

By the 60s I found it difficult to lift my arms above my head. By the 80s they didn't feel like arms. Wooden blocks, probably. Gan's cries grew louder and louder with every push.

Finally Sensei! The last 10! Oh my kingdom for the end of this torture! I swear I could hear the angels singing!

"1! 2! 3! 4! 5! Eh?" Sensei paused. "What number already? Forgot! Nevermind ... 1! 2! 3! 4! 5! ...!"

And Gan's constipation cries now had a defeated edge to them.

4 comments:

kVys2o0o said...

oh dat push up!

It ain't easy if we aren't used to it! I did it for my 2nd week abs routine. Give up... after 2 sets... hehe...

Eli James said...

Slowly break it in. It's really useful to us - it develops shoulder power and allows us to lift and throw faster and harder.

Hey, if Tay can do 40 after a tough training session, so can you!

Good luck, Kenny!

Garrick said...

ROFTL, bet sensei missed the counting on purpose :P

Eli James said...

Hehe. Yeah he did. We scolded him and he said: "I'm old already! Bad memory!"

*shakes head*