Welcome to the personal blog of student,
writer and occasional bum Eli James. More...

Sunday, June 24, 2007

It Hurts

Sensei put us through a really tough regiment today. I'm exhausted, and slightly unnerved at what I've seen.

I'm trying to compose my ... impressions of this glimpse into proper Japanese training. Sensei starts us off with the normal warmups, but then ups the pace, speed, and adds in a furious nagekomi session in the end where each of us gets thrown (or throws) 1 throw every five seconds.

And my stamina sucks. I don't think it's the Secret Recipe cakes anymore. Here's a question: does weight training affect stamina?

I'm starting to suspect it does. And what does this mean? Do I want to sacrifice my speed, suppleness and flexibility for strength? I used to rely on clean technique, not brute force to take my opponent down ... do I want to make this transition?

What are your thoughts on this?

7 comments:

Joshie New said...

'does weight training affect stamina?'-kankenai.lolz!i'm no expert but i think that you should stick to clean technique and speed.your sensei had bigger opponents but took them down anyway.even better idea-be fast AND strong.kalau mampu la.

Aquavires said...

Hmm... I can't say for sure, but if you look at the different types of runners, athletes who train in sprinting (brute force?) generally don't do long distance (stamina) well, and vice-versa.

Weight-training would increase your muscle mass, resulting in a greater energy cost per unit time. I think. And inertia means that greater mass makes it harder for you to make swift changes in your movements...?

Aw, go find a sports science student... ^^;

Eli James said...

I should. Maybe it's the lactic acid buildup? I feel ... weak. :(

Checked my weight for the first time in half a year. 60 kg, down 2 from the state selections. This is very weird.

Zhang BeiHai said...

I think weight training is important for judo, it's just the TYPE of weight training that you've got to find out. I don't know anything about that cos I'm only accustomed to running, and sprinters/400m blokes do most of the weight training- because they need the muscle and explosive power. As you pointed out-judo does require significant LA endurance and anaerobic capacity, with all the fast throws, pulls and flying involved. But interim recovery may need some aerobic tolerance as well(in any sport the most basic ground to build upon is the aerobics)

BUT overtraining will yearn unprecedented results(often unwanted). I have absolutely no idea how it will affect judo though. But I can take an example of how it affects one sport =P. Yah, running^^.
During 1500 and 5000 sessions I do recall weight training but not excessive ones. One is fun- dashing across the school hall while someone holds you back. I don't like the dashing but tearing some struggling dude back to where he started is evil and satisfying.

Over doing it will result in injury.One of our sprinters has a permanent knee injury now. It's a pity. He was going towards a sub 11 time for the 100.

Too much muscle bulk will also induce extra weight to carry. If your time was 4:30 for the mile, it could be dragged down just "a lil" to 4:40, where 5 runners could jam past those 10 seconds with the right strategy. Worst still if they catch you at the tape.

Old men throwing big men may be very disarming, but judo does need force right? If not nobody would fly, and I won't listen to you talking about judo anymore. There's weight variation involved, so it does need weight training for strength to dynamically break an opponent's posture.

Cheers
F=ma

Eli James said...

Okay. So still weight training for me, nevermind the stamina repercussions. Ish. Thanks, Paul.

Reening said...

train both!

Eli James said...

So hard! *gosh that sounds lazy*