I threw two people for ippon (win) today. Took a load of photos, both at the food fair and then at the dojo. No time to upload - too late at night now.
Both ippons were Osotogari. The first wasn't really fantastic - since the guy i was up against was yellow, fatigued and green around the ears. Grabbed hold of his lapel and entered.
Second one was good. He had speed and dominated at the beginning, controlling my movement. Hard hands pushing me away from any potential Osotogari entry. I remembered to relax, spun him with a few Sasais, and then entered Osotogari just as he was recovering from one such spin.
I lost to Alex - a dicky leg and i wasn't moving at my usual speed. Plus i couldn't get a grip earlier on. He entered a beautifully executed Uchimata - hitting me where it hurts the most in the process. Ouch.
It's weird - the first time i had an ippon it was after a day out with Garrick and Tang, collecting Salvation Army donations (was that a year ago?). The first time my Osotogari ruled in shiai i was also out with Garrick and Tang. St Thom food fair, bowling, and fragging at Garrick's house. Life sure does go around in circles.
I'm finally green (belter), something i've been working on since the year before. I'm happy.
And i'm also dissapointed i couldn't get a third ippon. I want a Judo shirt. And i want to show them all that Osotogari isn't a lousy, easily countered throw.
I have to sleep now. And when i put up photos, trust me - i'll start blogging about something else. Like Joshua, Andrew Ho and Kok Wee teaching me basic badminton. Very funny stuff.
Till then.
Saturday, March 10, 2007
Two Ippons
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Another possibility for ur defeat...
Alex was actually testing ur reaction before he really attack by setting up a series of false attacks. Then, he successfully sensed ur escaping direction and applied uchimata corresponding to ur direction. Make sense?
Hrmm. In which case i am completely to blame - didn't get a good grip in the beginning. So no chance of controlling him and setting him up. But i don't believe he was testing my reaction - he didn't even attack, no feint hip movements, nothing. Just made sure he controlled the grips, and then in for Uchimata. Needless to say i was taken by surprise.
Dang.
The next time he faces me he better watch out. >.<
I don't have the faintest idea what all the moves are like, but they sure do sound cool!
i was wondering what exactly is ippon until i reach the word 'judo'. looks like you're having a fantastic time throwing people around eh?
time to learn some badminton indeed. there's a great hype after the all england gold medal. and i am darn sure badminton terms are much easier to remember. at least they are english.
Finally can access ur comments...
Yea, I remember the time when sensei kept shouting," get ur hikite!!hikite!!!n ur tsurite!!!" Get the secure grip first before attempting any throw.
Oh well~ someone is green already...
I'm gonna be a 'junior' soon.
Ouch... ><
Oh yea, some tips for randori... found from a book
1. Keep ur arms loose.
2. Focus on attacking freely without regard for being thrown.
3. Follow up each technique with another.
4. Rely on skill and timing, not strength.
5. Control your breathing.
6. Keep your elbows close to your body when they are most powerful and least vulnerable.
7. Do not cross your feet when moving around. (u used to do tat quite often.)
And some tips for ur osoto-gari...
Set up attacks: Harai-goshi,Seoi-nage,Ashi-guruma.
Follow-up attacks: Nidan-kosoto-gari, Sasae-tsurikomi-ashi, Hiza-guruma,Osoto-makikomi,Osoto-otoshi, Uchi-mata.
Counterattack: I'll leave tis for myself. =Þ
@Tze Lun ... so is karate! But yeah that sound very ... stylised.
@Zewt. No kidding - all English, but i'm just not in love with the game. Yet. Maybe soon?
@ Horng Eng - hrrmph. Osoto makikomi sounds interestingly good for competition. Am learning Uchimata at the moment from Norliana. Hehe.
Post a Comment