Welcome to the personal blog of student,
writer and occasional bum Eli James. More...

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

SPM

There it is. The lives of over a thousand students in Malaysia determined by a thin slip of paper.

I've always wondered how something so small - so fragile - can mean so much. You expect the power of deciding your future to come in the form of something greater, like an Oscar gold statue, or a block of carved ivory (nevermind the apparent animals' rights violations). And yet thousands of lives are changed with slips of paper everyday.

Sad, isn't it, the press coverage given to A1s and their importance in our society?

Okay, scrap that. I'm not going to turn this post into a ravaging critique of the Malaysian education system, or the fact that we have too many subjects, or the fact that we are developing a breed of young Malaysians who excel at taking exams and nothing else.

No, not talking about that. Though it is very tempting to do so.

I'm talking about my SPM results. I'm relieved with what i have, and i thank the big guy upstairs (God) for being with me in so many ways throughout 2006. Boy do i hate the SPM.

I got 8As, 1B, and 1C.

Of those, 5As were A1s (Math, Add Math, English, EST and Physics)

3A2s were History, Chemistry and Biology.

The B3 was unsurprisingly BM, and the C5 was for moral, which i duly accept with slight glee. I am a very immoral person, according to the Malaysian syllabus. I throw cans at dogs, kick old women down stairs, and laugh whenever i see a pedestrian knocked down by a speeding car.

On a more serious note, i'm feeling slightly detached, (as well as) relieved that i scored A1 for both physics and add math. I can now look Mr Lee (physics) and Aunty Oi Jun in the eye, with confidence that i did not let them down.

It's over. I can't believe that it's over. I'm not feeling anything raw. Is this apathy? I may never know.

10 comments:

Sam said...

Congratulations once again on your 8a's. LoL. And...if you were very moral (ised?) if u could get an A for moral....

How easy it would be to be moral.

Eli James said...

Thank you. And very. I spent the hour before collecting my results illegally in the Swinburne library, reading up on Ethics of the Information Age.

Boy, was the things there a lot more useful than daft moral. It required a lot of thinking outside the box, with tough descisions in each questions.

Cool. And strangely i don't regret my C5 one bit. ;P

saykhia said...

You were in Swinburne Library an hour before you collected your result slip?? But I was in Swinburne at around that time! How come I didn't see you?? Maybe I was having lunch at that time. Hahaha..

It was Monday right? Yes it was. I don't go home on Mondays until 9.30pm. Hrm. Maybe we just don't have jodoh larrr =P

Anyways, just wanna say: Congrats on the 8As! Ain't too bad at all =)

Eli James said...

Paul left us there as he went off to complete a class of his. I actually thought of calling you, but my handphone battery was down to 1 bar ... :S

Anonymous said...

Hey 8a's cedric, congrats. A's for all the science subjects not that bad hor. You won't use bm and moral that muchlah. U see like me, after SPM idon't even speak bm that much. Just the other day my PA teacher asked me how i got an A for bm.

-RAvin_

Eli James said...

Thanks Ravin. A lot of people are actually reacting to me like: 8As? Aaaw ... 1 more A and it would be just perfect.

But i'm happy with what i've got. Thank the Lord.

;P

zewt said...

That was a splendid comment on my blog. I am contemplating putting it up as a proper post... may I?

Congrats... 8As... good enough. And I know... A in Add Maths is no easy feat...

What's your plan now? Let me know if I can post your comment up.. ok?

zewt said...

oh, i just posted a new article... stories of my friends.... those top scorers vs failures... i think you might enjoy it.

Eli James said...

I think i will too. Wat's your msn? Email me if you think it's too public to post up here: shadowsun7@gmail.com

And. Be my guest. ^.^ What use are ideas if nobody broods over it?

Zhang BeiHai said...

Well, gratz.....it's over, thankfully, though a lil' anguishy at that.