Welcome to the personal blog of student,
writer and occasional bum Eli James. More...

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Sometimes

"Have you been to the library recently?" I ask Yipeng and Shawn. We are studying at the COM1 basement, books and papers strewn across the tabletops.

"Uhh. No." says Yipeng. "The last time I went to the library was last semester."

"They had this sign at the main entrance."

Study Overnight!
A pause.

"Sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice, coming to a Singaporean university."

Yipeng looks up from his papers, looking stressed. "Yes, sometimes I wonder that too."

3 comments:

LiZaRdboi_88 said...

Ahh 24 hour study section. USM had allocated an area for 24 hour studying over our recently completed research library complex. They haven't implement it yet though because they need solve some the security issues/arrangement first hence so far only the open air section of the 24 study area is available though I doubt anyone would want to study there late at night feeding mosquitoes and all.

I heard UM and UUM's library had 24 hours study area too. Wonder how many other academic libraries in Malaysia has this feature too.

Eli James said...

All the libraries here are 24 hours, during the exam period. I knew that before, but I didn't know they advertised so blatantly.

(People actually bring sleeping bags in and only leave to shower, during this period).

Crazy right?!

Do they explicitly advertise the 24 hour study section at USM?

LiZaRdboi_88 said...

I think I will leave one of my blogpost here for better picture. Watch out for Kawasan Bacaan 24 Jam.

http://lizardboi88.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-things-abound-in-usm.html

The 24 study area is actually an annex/corridor connecting the old library building with the new research library building which can be accessed using a side staircase.

They haven't promote it yet because they're still trying to sort out security issues etc but as far as I know, some people do use the open air section of it at day time.