Welcome to the personal blog of student,
writer and occasional bum Eli James. More...

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Stuff During the Holidays

I'm on my end-of-academic-year break at the moment. It's three months long, and I'm planning to use it to learn a couple of new things. I've been back in Kuching for 3 weeks: my days have been filled with programming for my startup, and teaching debate, and running. Quiet, productive days.

What I haven't been doing lately, however, is writing. It's been a good 4 weeks since I last wrote anything of length, and I feel my writing muscles already fraying and rotting in my head. (Not that - you know - there are muscles in my head ... but yeah you do get what I'm talking about now, don't you?)

I've got a couple of things I want to talk about, and they're all in higgly-piggly rows in my head. Some of these topics interest me a lot, because I've been thinking about them for some time now, and while I'm not sure if the ideas are right, I suspect that the only way to find out is to hash them out, on paper. What I do know is that I need to get writing now, before the new semester begins. It's the only free time that I really have.

Things I'd like to do, before the holidays are over:

  • Learn recursion (i.e.: work through The Little Schemer)
  • Learn proper algorithm analysis
  • Revise relations and set theory (I'll probably need this for database work, and soon)
  • Learn Vim (mostly done)
  • Learn Python and Django (covered basic syntax for Python, still at the learning curve for Django)
  • Revise graphs and trees

Loosely coupled to that is a light reading-list that I'm nearly finished with, and probably a writing schedule that I'll need to adhere to.

This feels weird - writing again. I'll need to get used to it as soon as I can.

[Update]: Somebody commented on how foreign and odd-sounding my todo list reads, and so - an explanation:

Vim is a code editor packaged with most linux/unix systems, and programmers swear by it because it allows you to do code editing on a cramped keyboard, without using a mouse. (I've already used it while lying on a couch in my grandparent's place - it works, by gum, it works!

Python is a programming language. You know Google? Well, they run on Python. (I also like how it sounds like a snake. And that allows me to make up all sorts of pun-jokes, e.g.: Python is very pretty. As a programming language! Not, you know, as a snake. Though it is a pretty snake ...)

Django is a framework for building web applications (like blogs, or Twitter, or Facebook) and I'm currently using it to build some writing software. More on that in a bit.

And ... well, the rest (recursion, graph, trees, set theory) are math stuff - and I'm not going to talk about them now because I've yet to learn anything apart from recursion (and I don't think they make for polite dinner conversation). Don't you just love polite geeks?

5 comments:

Sam said...

The fact that your list makes little sense to me further reaffirms my belief that if left to your own devices, you'd try to smelt yourself to pixels and binary numbers.
=]

Ida said...

All these foreign names.
All these...business.

AIYO

:]

Telepathically great!

Ida said...

Somebody commented on how foreign and odd-sounding my todo list reads, and so - an explanation: vim is a code editor packaged with most linux/unix systems, and programmers swear by it because it allows you to do code editing on a cramped keyboard, without using a mouse. (I've already used it while lying on a couch in my grandparent's place - it works, by gum, it works!

Python is a programming language. You know Google? Well, they run on Python.

Django is a framework for building web applications (like blogs, or Twitter, or Facebook!) and I'm currently using it to build some writing software. More on that in a bit.


Who still thinks the list looks foreign?
/raises hand up :] :] :]

Eli James said...

@Sam: imma geek! Combination of obsession and intelligence and you get me, exhibit A! =P

A tendency to smelt myself with pixels comes as part of the package.

@Ida: /grabs hand and glomps you

Zhang BeiHai said...

My gosh, all these savages