Welcome to the personal blog of student,
writer and occasional bum Eli James. More...

Monday, August 17, 2009

The First Week Review

I am sitting here at the desk in my room, dressed in the sweatiest clothes I have had in half a year. Two library books - a collection of essays by David Foster Wallace and a primer on theater critique - lie untouched in my bag, which is, in turn, flung at a corner under the table by my feet. My bed is clean, but is currently a yellow sprawl of plastic bags and wallet and soiled clothes and other little things like earbuds and cup holders (cup-holders!?) that I must've left while on the way out to do the dishes.

My dishes, sorry. I have to take care of them. They belong to me. Only me. No one else.

God, university life is different.

I know I should have written about Singapore and NUS and life here long ago, but a lot of things have happened in the past 3 weeks, things that I want to talk to you about, but don't know where to start. And I suppose the other partial reason is this little thing called writer's block, in which I want to produce the most wonderful, word-perfect essay on the first week of University anyone's ever produced, and this - naturally - prevents me from sitting down and organizing my thoughts, and letting them flow from head to hand.

So yes, I know, I'm a perfectionist idiot. Which is why I'm writing this now - exhausted and hot and sweaty I am - because that part of my brain that screams INFERIOR SENTENCE DELETE DELETE DELETE is woozy and sweat-drunk and I can write whatever I want without it spontaneously combusting into tiny little shrapnel chips that ricochet around in my head and leave little trails of grey mush. Which isn't a very good sentence. But just - you know - just testing.

(And also - my judogi is in the middle of a wash cycle now, so I have to wait for that to finish before I can go to sleep. And I haven't bathed. And my clothes stink to the high heavens. Didn't I tell you that University life is different?)

It's different in other surreal little ways too, like this one night morning I was walking around, 3 am, to pick up an indemnity form from Val - who printed it for me - and it was dark and quiet and there were no people around, and then I walked past this project room and through a tiny sliver between the curtains I saw a group of 8 boys clustered around a table playing DOTA. No sound at all. Just the occasional swear-word, and even then only audible right outside the window. Eight frowning faces, eight flashing computer screens, and the velvet dark of an early morning.

But anyway. I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm not going to talk about Singapore - or about NUS, for that matter - not in this post. I'll save that for another day. What I do want to talk about, however, is the first week of lecture, and my thoughts on the classes I'm taking this semester. That first week just finished today, in the sense that last Monday was a public holiday, and so I only sat for those missed lectures this afternoon.

Now all NUS students have to take five modules (or subjects) per sem, and we have to bid for them through a pretty complicated auction system called CORS, which works somewhat like the system Google designed for Adwords - but with protection, appeals, and an idiosyncratic currency system. But it's not necessary to explain that for this post. I'm taking five modules this semester, and being in the School of Computing means that I only have to bid for two, seeing as three are given to me by the faculty at the start of term. So, here they are, with my thoughts, in order:

CS1101 Programming Methodology is this heavy module that works as an introduction to programming. The lectures are all small sectional classes, conducted in little groups in computer labs, and my teacher is this guy called Tan Tiow Seng, who did a hilarious introductory talk at the beginning of our orientation week about Alumni and the School of Computing (in which he called everyone in the faculty crazy horses). I like him, and I think the module's going to be an interesting one, even if it is a little tough.

CS1231 Discrete Structures is a math course, and is intertwined with the programming things taught in CS1101. It's probably the hardest course I'm taking this semester. I am, apparently, really lucky this year, because I have a French lecturer called Stefane Bresson, and he's nothing short of brilliant. He actually makes math interesting, and as an added bonus he speaks in a funny French accent that's a breath of fresh air after all the Singlish you hear on a grating day-to-day basis.

CS1105 Computing and Society is to computing students what Pengajian Am was to Form 6. As in PA, we study all sorts of amazing, mindblowing things like ethics and computers and how computers have changed society and how Facebook really sucks because like so your boss can google you and find your Facebook profile and add you and then browse through all your drunk-like-siaw photos, and thus proceed to fire you after having weird gay dreams that somehow always involve you and a bottle of scotch.

SSA3201 Singapore English-Language Theatre is an SS (Singapore Studies) module, which is simply a category of modules that all NUS students are required to take. I think we have a Malaysian equivalent too, in our own universities, called - err - Malaysian Studies. But anyway. I chose this one because I figured that since I needed to complete an SS sooner or later, why not choose a module that was in a field that I liked? And I think I made the right choice - it's really challenging, in a way that Malaysian high school subjects aren't ... and that's probably because original thought and justified interpretation is the standard to which we are all supposed to work at. And our lecturer is a diva. A male diva. He rocks. I was late to his first lecture (alarm was set to 8.30 pm, woke up at 11.55, lecture started at 12; swore: shitshitshitshit ... and then I got lost) and he's really quite the personality. Term assignment? 10-50 page essay, on a past year exam question of my choice.

NM1101E Communications, New Media and Society was the lecture I took this afternoon, and boy, was it jam-packed. The student body spilled out of the chairs and onto the theatre stairs, and on the floor at the back of the hall. I took this subject out of interest, to see what other things I could learn about digital content, and now I'm beginning to wonder about that decision. The first lecture seemed too ... fun. The teacher in charge's American, and she's got this wicked sense of humour (she tells us that our finals will be laugh-out-load-Reader's-Digest-joke-section funny, because she wants us to laugh in the exam hall ... and anecdotal accounts on the web from last year actually confirm this), and she also believes in involving the whole audience in whatever session she's doing. We were promised documentary films, and student participation, and these things called Techno Breaks where we'd stop whatever we were doing and get up and do some fun activity - which, today, was a game designed to gauge our media consumption habits. It was crazy-assed fun. A little too fun. Like a party rather than a class. Which is frightening, to say the least.

And so but then I need to go check on my laundry now, but I'll write soon. About Singapore, about the University, and about the people I've met. Till then.

12 comments:

Sam said...

And I haven't bathed. And my clothes stink to the high heavens. Didn't I tell you that University life is different?
You mean that's new? =P

Like a party rather than a class. Which is frightening, to say the least.
Leave it Cedric Chin to not like TOO MUCH FUN! Send ur lecturer over, I wanna laugh during an exam toooo!

Eli James said...

Well my parents are paying through their noses to keep me here, I should be taking classes to learn, right? Not to have fun, or to get easy As on things I already know ...

PS: NO LERR I NEVER NOT BATHE AFTER JUDO LERR!!!

LiZaRdboi_88 said...

Malaysian Studies are indeed available in Msian public university...for foreign students. For us Malaysian, we take TITAS (Tamadun Islam dan Tamadun Asia) and SHE (Hubungan Etnik). Not interesting anyway cos we took it only because we want to graduate. Just a lil information from me a Msian public uni student.

Looks like you are enjoying your uni life very much! Have lotsa fun before you graduate!

*now attending International Conference on Translation with lots of my coursemate. Luckily the apartment lobby that I am staying now got wireless!"

Garrick said...

lol damn. Lectures in NUS seems fun xD. Uni life for me is big difference lol. Was very surprised when I was told that I could choose my modules each sem. Western education systems are way different compared to the French lol. Wish I was in NUS too lol.

Unknown said...

Cedric, shall be looking forward for more updates in the future =)


Garrick, err...not really, I guess its only first semester. Last time yes, you can choose. Now no more =)

Teddy said...

Sorry for the missed lunch meetup last week! I feel really bad about not being able to make it (despite confirming the night before that I *could* make it). Bad things choose to happen at the wrong time, sigh.

University life is indeed very different, isn't it? Out of a sudden you come to this realization that you're no longer (or to a lesser degree) bound to the parental contract. You do things your way - be it letting your laundry undone for two weeks or skipping lectures for a couple of days so that you could take a break off academia.

The system in NTU is a little different - we don't need to bid for courses, but more like flooding the school server with multiple requests across multiple browsers/windows and praying like mad hoping that your request went through. It's equally insane though.

Your American lecturer sounds amazing! Finally we landed a funny lecturer for our academic writing core subject this semester - for my first year, we only got lazy lecturers who refuse to read our emails (to quote, "We're too busy. Bore someone else with your questions.") LOL.

Take care!

Bergamot said...

No it isn't called Malaysian Studies in Malaysian universities, it's called ISLAMIC AND ASIAN CIVILIZATION STUDIES. Another one is ETHNIC RELATIONSHIP. So yea, we need to take two....hmph

Ida said...

Now whenever you mention bresson or seet....I just can't help but grin=)

lost boy lost boy~

;D ehehehehehe

ember said...

Gee, can I copy your 5th paragraph and use it in my next post? :P

I'm envious. Your lecturers are actually fun. I'd have a lecturer like your New Media course anytime. LOL-style final exams!

Valarie said...

Oh oh! DO blog about that washing machine girl! Hahaha! *glances around* *whispers* I hope she's not reading this comment!

LiangJiun said...

Harlow. I'm glad to hear that you seemed to settle down quite comfortably in Singapore. All the best in your studies. =)

Eli James said...

@Zhe Rong: you guys seem to get to attend all sorts of cool seminars and lectures orh? I'm still struggling to keep up over here, and I have to think twice whenever there's a notice to some cool new event ...

@Garrick: I think the French have it as well, but maybe hospitality schools can't afford to have that, if only to maintain the prestige and the quality output of these schools.

@Teddy: it's alright, mate. =) You're right about how University life is so different: it was quite a shock, really, the first time I nearly missed an academic briefing because I forgot about it! And, yes, I've heard about your NTU system of course allocation: look at the bright side, at least it's not as complicated as NUS's! I took a REALLY LONG time to understand all the intricacies of CORS. Ehheh.

@Horng Eng: ETHNIC RELATIONSHIPS sound pretty fun. Do you get to date Indians/Malays? /brows =P

@Ida: OH YOU SICK YUUUUU!!!

@ember: I don't mind if you copy it. =) Writing isn't very valuable in bits and pieces, so sharing is better, especially when it's a paragraph by paragraph thing. Oh and btw, that particular lecturer is away in America these coupla weeks, so she'll only be back in week 8/9. =(

@Val: soon, I promise =)

@Liang Jiun: hey thanks for dropping by man, and thank you for your well wishes. =)

@