Welcome to the personal blog of student,
writer and occasional bum Eli James. More...

Friday, July 17, 2009

Photography is Easy; Photography is Hard

To Fort Magherita

Yesterday, Robin of Simply Robin posted an attack on my assertion that: 'photography is easy'. We've decided to agree to disagree, but I think an explanation on my end is in order, if merely in the interest of intellectual discourse. The truth about the matter is that I have been thinking a lot about the nature of the photographic medium, even before my dad bought a dSLR. Many of my friends are currently jumping onto the dSLR bandwagon; they are happy to shoot everything and anything that comes their way. I didn't like that. I wanted to be sure, that if I were to pick up a camera, and the skills that came with the photographic medium, I'd be doing it for a good reason. For a meaningful reason. I write because the act of writing soothes my mind, and helps me organize my ideas, and in an ideal scenario my writing is used to store feelings, and thoughts, and images attached to those thoughts that I want to remember. But what of photography? What can photography accomplish that writing cannot? I struggled for an answer, because I didn't want to shoot without a purpose. And I did find an answer, though I'll get back to that in a bit. Here, first of all, is my argument:

Photography is easy. It is. Let us consider the following scenario:

Kid takes camera. Kid shoots. Of those photos that he first shoots, it is likely that a handful would be good shots, though most would be bad.

Kid takes pen. Kid writes. Of those essays that he first writes, all would be lousy.

Kid takes paintbrush. Kid paints. Of those pictures that he first paints, all would be lousy.

Why?

The answer to that question lies in the limits of a medium, and the limits in photography are more solidly defined and more restricting than that in writing and painting, and film. Consider that writing and painting recreates what is obvious in front of us, in the sense that when you're drawing a bush you would have to recreate the leaves in that bush, the environment around it, and the way the light plays on the dappled shadows underneath the branches. But in photography you don't have to do all that: God has drawn the bush for you, God has given you light, you merely have to capture it. In writing, and in painting, you are the God of your work, and it is difficult to be a God, the same way it is difficult to be a 3D modeler of a virtual world than it is to be the gamer that screen-captures your work.

I struggled with this notion for some time, because after the control and the creative power of writing, photography seemed like a farce. Like riding a bike after touring Europe in a coupe. And it appears that I was not the only one with such views ... shortly before I wrote the original blog post, I chanced upon an interview with Henri Cartier Bresson on Google Video,
who said:
Teaching (photography) is how to use a little finger, that's all ... photography is just an instant drawing. BUT, for photography, you need one (finger) ... and in drawing you need three.
Henri Cartier Bresson, for those of you who don't know, was the greatest photographer of the 21st century, the inventor of modern photojournalism, the founder of the prestigious Magnum agency. Slightly more contemporary, however, is photographer Paul Graham's take on the medium, written for Yale University's MFA photography graduation book:
It’s so easy it's ridiculous. It’s so easy that I can’t even begin – I just don’t know where to start. After all, it’s just looking at things. We all do that. It’s simply a way of recording what you see – point the camera at it, and press a button. How hard is that? And what's more, in this digital age, its free - doesn't even cost you the price of film. It’s so simple and basic, it's ridiculous.
Robin points out in his post that his shots of water droplets on a pair of dragonfly eyes were impossibly difficult to achieve. But let us put that in perspective: if you were to give me one year's worth of practice, some macro gear, an umbrella, an insect and rain I would probably be able to capture something near Robin's level of quality, after maybe 10,000 shots or so. But give me a pencil, some paper, and paint ... and even after 5 years of constant practice I cannot guarantee you an image like that. The thing about photography is that you can capture multiple shots and pick the best; in art, and in writing: this is impossible. There is no 'pick the best'. The real reality of writer and the painter is this: 4 hours worth of work, and I throw it away because the anecdotal lede I used to introduce my article is bloated; 4 hours of work, and I throw it away because the nose on my portrait isn't just right.

It is an accepted truth of all these mediums - writing, photography, painting - that nobody sees the work that goes into the final product. A 15 page essay in the New Yorker is the result of 6 months worth of research, 3 discarded drafts and 1 week's worth of editing and fact-checking; nobody sees this. Michelangelo's murals on the churches of Rome take a year, at least, upside down and draped in sheets; nobody sees this. And there are more writers and painters who commit suicide and inflict self-damage in the pursuit of their chosen art - bereft of the commercial options available to photographers - nobody, too, sees this.

Robin is right: nobody sees the work that leads up to a taking of a photograph. But he is mistaken in the assumption that it is true only of photography - it is true of writing, and painting; and drawing, and film. He attempts to prove that photography is incessantly difficult, but he does so without the context of the other creative mediums available to man. Photography, writing, and art: do they not overlap in the expression of the human condition?

So ... what's so great about photography? Or - to put a twist on an aforementioned question: what's so difficult about it? One good answer would be to refer - again - to Paul Graham:
It’s so difficult because it’s everywhere, every place, all the time, even right now. It's the view of this pen in my hand as I write this, it's an image of your hands holding this book, Drift your consciousness up and out of this text and see: it's right there, across the room - there... and there. Then it’s gone. You didn’t photograph it, because you didn’t think it was worth it. And now it’s too late, that moment has evaporated. But another one has arrived, instantly. Now. Because life is flowing through and around us, rushing onwards and onwards, in every direction.
And also:
But if it's everywhere and all the time, and so easy to make, then what’s of value? which pictures matter? Is it the hard won photograph, knowing, controlled, previsualised? Yes. Or are those contrived, dry and belabored? Sometimes. Is it the offhand snapshot made on a whim. For sure. Or is that just a lucky observation, some random moment caught by chance? Maybe. Is it an intuitive expression of liquid intelligence? Exactly. Or the distillation of years of looking seeing thinking photography. Definitely.
Photography is valuable because it is a freeze frame of a moment in time, untouched by human hands and unvarnished by human opinion. No other medium can do this. Writing can capture a moment, yes, and in more depth - yes. But it cannot freeze that moment and leave it ambiguous, neutral, it cannot allow the viewer and the reader to impose their meaning on it, to give their own interpretations of the image the photographer so chooses to capture.

And in that ambiguity lies the real challenge in photography: not composition, not light, not subject - though all of those things do matter to the learning photographer. Those are merely the technicalities. The real challenge in photography is to capture the ambiguity of the real world, and to make that obvious to the people who are lucky enough to view your photographs. To capture what is real, and to also imply what is unreal, at all the places that are important to you. And that is not easy, nor is it quick; but most importantly it is not possible in any medium but this one.

Photography is easy; photography is hard. And in that sentence you have one of the truths of all the arts, and one of the great joys of life. Now let us stop bickering and go out, with our cameras - into the rain perhaps - to take more photographs.

Endnotes:
1, I owe a very special friend for the argument about painting, and the argument about the value of photography. I owe her many things, actually, and this endnote is just one way of thanking her.

2,
N.B.: Various photographers have tried to work around the limitations of the medium, for instance: noted fashion photographer Rankin sees film-making as telling a story; photography as telling a joke.

14 comments:

Ida said...

You are welcome. I'm glad you stopped doubting how much you do like photography. there is always something in every form of creative arts that makes it so unique. And its all up to us to choose which type adheres to our liking more.

In the end its about having fun and being satisfied with your product. The level of difficulty of the form should never dictate whether it is worth doing or not.

=) thats why the last paragraph in this essay here sums it best. stick to it.

Eli James said...

Yes ma'am, that I will.

Anonymous said...

zere is some kind of chemiztry i senze between you and ze maiden you speak of/acknowledged? =D it iz nice to have special friendz. zey dont come round often. ^^

=D said...

I don't know. But were you doubting photography cos many people are good at it thus higher chance of not standing out? Just a question xD

Or3nZai said...

agree with "=D"
my take on photography is that it is all about the creativity, the 'eye' in you that sees what others cant.

I believe the difficulty of photography basically depends on HOW you look at it. I find photography hard to master. Why? This is because no matter how many years you put into honing your skills in the technicality aspects in photography, how many hours, days, months you waited for that perfect sunrise, it all boils down to how you interpret those thoughts of your into the photography, just like painting, but harder.

Let me elaborate. In painting, you can throw away paintings after paintings just because of that uneven nose, that wrong shade of skin tone etc. In photography, I do not find it any easier, if not harder. A sunset. Setting up the tripod, putting it into the right mode, fitting in the right filters, calibrating the white balance. All those sound pretty easy to deal with once you are familiar with them. BUT, what about those things that is beyond your control? Say, I want to take a photography of an afterglow with beautiful orange clouds with an plane flying just over it. All these, have to depend on your luck, your persistence to go back to that same place over and over and over again and so on. If you are out of luck, you might not even get the shot you want in 20 years. Whereas in painting, you can just redraw that painting over and over again 10 times, 100 times, 1000 times. Not saying that painting is in any way easier. Just that both photography and painting and other creative mediums are hard in their own way.

So yes, I very much agree on your phrase "Photography is easy; photography is hard. "

Ergo, I feel that both of you are right to an extent. :)

*just realized I am typing in a comment box. LOL

Robin Wong said...

hey dienasty,

I do believe I should apologize for being overly dramatic. You are after all entitled to your own opinion, and the freedom that goes along with that to share it.
Yes, I admit I was a little taken aback.

My blog entry was supposed to be more defensive in nature, rather than sounding like an "attack". That was well, obviously due to my poor writing skills (which I humbly, openly admit. Damned engineering, it is destroying my English)

Comparing photography to writing is one thing, but comparing it to painting is quite pointless I believe. In painting, you create. In photography, you capture.

In painting, you start with a blank canvas, how good your results will be depends on how you fill the empty canvas. You can practically do anything you wish, and there are no limitations, except your imaginations.

In stark contrast for photography, you cannot change much of what is given to you. In photography, to capture a stunning image, is of a greater challenge.

Now, let me put my comparison of photography and writing in a new perspective.

How many times have you read a good book more than twice? How many times have you seen a good picture, it made such a huge impact and then you purposely find it again just to view it for the second time?
Making awe-worthy photograph that warrants a second time viewing is not as easy as writing a book that gets people to read it twice.

I think I should stop proving photography is harder, but seriously, to be good at it is nothing near easy.

Ok I think I should stop or else this loop will never end.

Eli James said...

@Anon: I lovez your fakez frencz accent. Noz, not just close special friends are hard to come by, ALL typz of friends are hard to have.

@=D: Nope. If that were the case, I'd have stopped writing ages ago - there are too many good, nay, better writers than me out there. I didn't want to do photography originally because I couldn't - at first - find a way to derive meaning from it. What meaning is there in a landscape? If it were a painting there would be skill to admire, and style, and influence (such as the age from which your style draws upon). But photographic style and photographic meaning wasn't immediately clear to me ...

But that was then. I've figured it out now - it isn't TECHNICAL style that matters in photography, it's the immediacy that makes it so special ... and that's why photography stands proud, right up there in museums along with painting greats.

@Orenzai: Good point about the airplane; I haven't thought of that form of photography before. You're saying that you went out with a contrived, planned image in your head? Like a painter does when he sets out over a blank canvas? Not the way a photojournalist does, going out into the field looking to capture the truth of the moment and make it last forever?

Wait. Let me pause here and absorb that form of photography: that bears thinking about.

Or3nZai said...

Photography, theres lots of ways photography is looked at. some take it just for the sake of memories. For eg, birthday photos. You develop them and compile them into albums as archives. while the others, especially those that are into still photography, are very much like painters. They have a picture in their heads, its how they interpret and express their thoughts that make their photos so valuable and meaningful. Salvado Dali is one of the big names that produces some stunning photos in medium format. IDK much bout him though.

Event photographers only focus on the main subject. Thats what matters. So they just snap as much as they could then voala you see them on the newspapers tomorrow morning. They do not emphasize on the composition, colors yadayada. As long as the photos are correctly exposed and the subject is in the picture, thats it.

So yeah, diff type of photographers have different objectives when taking photos.

Eli James said...

Thank you for your response, Robin. Yes, now that you've argued it like that, in reference to the other creative mediums ... yes. I DO see where you're coming from. In that context - the analogy you gave of a photograph/book that makes you look twice - that does make sense ... if only because it is so much easier to take a good-looking but average photograph.

Okay, that was slightly tipsy logic in my sentence, but you get what I mean. I understand that context. And I shall agree with you in it.

Eli James said...

Wait. I KNOW Salvador Dali - I mean I've heard of him - but ... wasn't he a painter? The one who was part of the surrealism movement? Come to think of it ... the surrealism movement happened at about the same time Cartier Bresson shaped photojournalism, so it WOULD make sense that Dali was a photographer ...

At any rate, I recognize the types you speak of: birthday/family photos - now THAT's a type I don't mind taking - it's got plenty of meaning! And event photography is something that I always found curious: I mean, the photos aren't anything to shout about, but applying a bit of text is enough to make up for whatever the photograph lacks on its own, to give it context.

Then there's concept photographers: Rankin is one of them, Olivia Bee (http://www.flickr.com/photos/-oliviabee-/) is another I follow - it's not something I'd do, but I do quite like her work. Concept photography takes a concept and illustrates it, like Bulimia, or Anger. It's art, alright, though in a photographic context.

It's the still photographers that perplex me. I mean, it seems to me that photography as a medium is best suited for the quick and immediate ... and painting more suited for the rendering of stills. But I'll settle for 'depends on your taste' ...

What's your favourite kind of photography, KC?

Or3nZai said...

me? I like landscape and street photography quite a lot. Also, abstract photography is a field that I am trying out. :)

Teddy said...

Photography is easy. Mastering photography is hard. Cameras are an amazing medium - painting with light in just a click of the finger. In a few milliseconds to a couple of seconds, a photograph is born. That's the easy part, and you're right about that.

Mastering photography though, is not as easy task. Many people venture into photography because they think it's easy - and it's very true too, like what you've said. It's speedy and instant, but how many of the photographers understand the art behind it?

I've seen too many people diving into the slippery excuse that owning a dSLR is cool. That it makes them take better pictures because of the enourmous megapixel count, has exchangable lenses. It's like a painter investing in an expensive set of brushes and paint but have no idea what to do with the canvas, and hastily, clumsily creates a painting for the sake of justifying the price of his equipments.

:(

Anyway, love this entry. Insightful and considerate. I do find a certain someone's response to your opinion a little harsh though.

Have a great weekend!

Eli James said...

"Anyway, love this entry. Insightful and considerate."

Thanks, Terry. Much obliged. =)

Unknown said...

Quite an interesting post eh? I do agree that photography is easy when comes to implementing, but to be able to create a pic that carries impact to you viewers upon first glance is another different issue =)

Or3nzai: event coverage sounds an easy thing for you eh?