Welcome to the personal blog of student,
writer and occasional bum Eli James. More...

Thursday, October 09, 2008

Lousy

Dear HFM,

You really have good timing, don't you? I mean, you could've picked any number of days in the year to attack me. Like Hari Raya, for instance, where I was busy getting fat. Or Chinese New Year. Or the two mock exams. All of these wonderful, valid times to prevent me from stuffing my face/stressing myself out.

And there's also the sticky issue of my age. What are you - blind, or something? Last I checked, I'd lost ALL of my milk teeth! And gained four headache-causing wisdom ones. I'd write a letter to them, too, only they aren't viruses. George Chan (yes, he of the frog face) says adults are immune to the virus. HAH! Go visit him sometime, won't you? Cocky little idiot probably thinks he's immune to everything, seeing as he survived the last butt-kicking elections.

Okay, okay I get the idea. I suppose I should be grateful: I'm feeling relatively okay, apart from the mouth-ulcers and the hand and foot sores. And the horrible bone-ache I woke up today with. But there's no danger of me kicking the bucket. Or pulling the plug. Or whatever you call it when you win and I lose and you laugh all the way to the grave. (Dr Chan might call it losing an election. Hyuk hyuk.) I am very grateful for that. No kid.

I think I'll choose to look at the bright side of things. Like being able to study at home. Or the way my sisters are treating me like the plague (because, like, you know, I am the plague). Or the sight of mum pouring hot water over my plates and spoons and forks, or dad going: "Why you touch the wall? Now you infect the wall. Don't touch the wall. And don't touch the rice. And why you sit in that chair?"

Okay that's not really funny.

They say when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade. Now I wonder what you'll taste like.

Bleeurgh.

PS: This is, until further notice, my last post before STPM. Unless something big happens that grants me Internet access, that is. Like a 5km asteroid smashing into earth. Or the abolishment of the Malaysian Examinations Council. Or Anwar getting sodomized. Again. You get the idea.
PPS: I'm wondering if my dog contracts HFM from me, what would it be called? Paw, paw and mouth disease? That would be ... cute.

17 comments:

Kershia Kathleen Kentigerna said...

Hey Cedric. All the best for STPM. And your hopes for an asteriod crashing into earth or Msia.. ah.. Better think twice bout that.. Hahahaha.. =)

Eli James said...

Thanks Kathleen. And, yeah. Recently a 5 metre asteroid smashed into earth, with a 1 kiloton explosion at the end. What a 5km asteroid would do, on the other hand ...

Astrea said...

You poor thing. Lol.

Do you know how you got it?

Get better soon.

And good luck for your exams.

Zhang BeiHai said...

Oh man, tough luck. Get well soon!

Eli James said...

@Audrey: adult carrier, me thinks. Bad news is my class is near a kindy.

@Paul: thank you.

MisC^2 said...

Hmmm.. And just a few days ago, my mum was telling me to be careful of HFM. (O_o)

Get well soon ya? =)

Oh and nope, your dog won't get it from you because their virus is different. (^.^)

Andrew said...

Wow. You really contracted it? Tough luck. I always thought that things like this isn't happening to people around me. Did you went to school?

Good luck in your exam.

Anonymous said...

you forgot another big thing: when the LHC blows Swizterland apart and thus unbalancing the whole ecosystem

MisC^2 said...

I thought they assumed that tiny black holes will appear causing the surroundings to be sucked in, not blow up!

XD

But anyway, I think the project is a waste of money. They don't even really know what they are after I heard..

Eli James said...

@Cassie: Thanks. And you know about the dogs?! Wow.

@Andrew: well ... yeah. It happened. To me. A 'people around you'. Tough luck, huh? =S

@Anon: Now THAT'S a good one. Last I heard, one of the 10,000 helium connectors leaked and the whole thing's down for another 6 months.

@Cassie: I don't think it's a waste of money. Well, possibly because it's not mine. But if it were on Malaysian soil, on the other hand ...

Cool links to check out regarding the LHC:

The Big Picture - LHC Nearly Ready

Has the Large Hadron Collider destroyed the world yet?

MisC^2 said...

Well, I do read up on them sometimes. Keeping pets makes you wonder about some stuff which others may not really wonder about and I usually find out more on the illnesses they may contract.

Only some viruses are able to mutate, that's why not all the stuff we get will infect our little furry friends and vice versa. (^.^)

And even though it is not really our money, it could be thrown in elsewhere yea? Think of how many billions they have already spent and the many more millions they're gonna put in to maintain it for the next God knows how many years until they discover something!

Astrea said...

How did the topic shift to the LHC?

The scientists involved in the project are making science look bad. =(

1. Potentially dangerous
2. Waste of resources which could have been used for like, helping countries in poverty.
3. No one else likes the idea. (Okay, I know that's not true but whatever)

They're playing with fire for the sake of curiosity. Some things are best left alone.

They don't really have a very specific purpose to the LHC. It's like they sat down and said: "Okay, let's waste all this money doing this massive experiment that threatens the safety of everyone around us."

Of course the whole black hole thing could be unrealistic.

Oh yeah, Ced, it IS down until next year.

We could go on and on on this topic though....

Ida said...

you got HFM? For a second there, I saw the words HSM and I thought 'wtf, you watch hsm? wow EPIC'

=) I always thought HFM affect lil kiddy kids:D I hope you are well now=)

Good luck in STPM

Unknown said...

Tough luck man! Screw G.Chan and his comments! Even those in my Uni caught HFM.

Still, do take care and Good luck in your Stpm!

Eli James said...

@Cassie: I think they've already got two other colliders active, and this project is waaay long term. And I see what you're hitting at, money-wise, but ...

Okay I'm just geeking out at the whole thing. I like it. I want it continue. In the name of good science, no?

@Audrey: Apart from the obvious ME! I LIKE THE IDEA! I'd also like to point out that this money IS used for the good of mandkind. Not our place to say whether poverty is more important than answering fundamental scientific questions (eg: how was the universe formed?) Hadrons (or quarks) are but one window into the origin of the universe.

@Ida: I err ... DO watch HSM. And enjoyed it, to the everlasting horror of my friends. I think I've been reading too much postmodernist fiction. =S

I'm well now. Thanks. =)

@Max: No kidding?! Thank GOD! I thought I was an odd one out!

alex said...

woah. tough luck i spoz. glad you're taking it so well. all the best for stpm buddy, God bless.

Eli James said...

Thanks, Alex. Hope to see you soon.