Welcome to the personal blog of student,
writer and occasional bum Eli James. More...

Sunday, July 06, 2008

Interview

Am being interviewed in The Malay Mail for my work on Novelr. The only problem being that I don't want people recognizing me, especially since Novelr is so community driven. So I got my sister to take out the camera and frame a photo where nobody can see my face.

interviewphoto

She now thinks she is the greatest photographer in the world, because she's made her Iban-looking brother look like an Eurasian.

My sister is crazy.

[Update]: Tze Lun just sent me a clipping of the article (thank you Tze Lun!). There's a lot cut out from the original interview - but hey, space constraints and all. I'm not complaining. I am one very happy boy. The article's below if you'd like a read. Just click.

[Update 2]: I have died and gone to heaven.

clipping

21 comments:

Tracy said...

Finally, an update! Yay!

Erm... I might sound like an idiot, but what kind of publication is the Malay Mail? I have never came across it, that's why. Let me guess, a magazine?

Astrea said...

Interesting... tell us more about this interview & The Malay Mail. Never heard of it before either.

Are you absolutely sure that people who know you personally won't recognize you from that photo? Lol.

Anonymous said...

I think the question should be... How does The Malay Mail even know about Novelr. Wow.

Eli James said...

@Tracy: The Malay Mail is a small circulation newspaper, much like the Sun which you get free at train stations and the like. It's not owned by a political party (at least, I don't think so), and it's very open, very liberal, with a focus on human interest stories. Existed since the colonial days, apparently, but then died and got resuscitated. Small newspaper lah. Not big one.

@Audrey: I'm assuming that not many people in Semenanjung know me ... so. Hehe.

@Wen Qi: Sharon Bakar mentioned Novelr as one of the blogs she loved to read in her Malay Mail interview ... one thing led to another, so ... here it is.

Tze Lun said...

I read The Malay Mail.
I live in the Semenanjung.
I know you.
I know Novelr.

Now I know you're popular!

Eli James said...

You SERIOUS, Tze Lun?! I thought very few people read The Malay Mail! If you see my article tomorrow can you please take a picture of it? Please please please ....

Danny said...

Funny la the way u pose..wow... congratz for being interviewed! Malay mail is gaining ground among readers after the re-launch and re-branding according to Rockybru..

Eli James said...

@danny: yeah. My sisters actually thought it was a magazine for ... erm, Malays.

Go figure, huh.

Anonymous said...

haha you sooo dont look eurasian in the pic. haha. malay maybe. but yeah. congrats :)

Eli James said...

Malay! I look Malay! Teehee.

Thanks, Jyl.

Tracy said...

Wow! I didn't know you set up Novelr until I read that Malay Mail article.

I've clicked on it once or twice but I just glanced through it. I thought it was a website you frequent, not one you created.

The material are ones of substance and maturity which explains the draw of your website which you created from scratch. I'm impressed as hell.

Eric said...

Cool. Now you're on the papers!!

Valarie said...

Wow! This is impressive! A possible start for a great future! Congratz!

Zhang BeiHai said...

The way you answer those questions is cool.

But it's weird and cool at the same time to see that it's not your own name that's doing the talking.

saykhia said...

Wow. My friend is famous! *tear*

zewt said...

now the tabloids finally got some substance :)

Eli James said...

@Tracy: yeah it's not something everyone reads. Very ... niche.

@Eric: I'm actually happier about the press Novelr's getting, not really about me. Never know if someone flips through the papers and recognizes ... my eyebrows. Ehhehehe.

@Val: Career? In lit, you mean? I ... don't think Novelr has any real application to the stuff I'm going to do. Hrmm.

@Paul: it was a lot more humble in the original copy. The editor took out about 40% of it. Oh well. Me is Eli James. Me is not complaining.

@Saykhia: thanks. =)

@Zewt: oh, but you read the Malay Mail! That means it's gotta be good, right?!

Sam said...

Sam to Tze Lun: Why is the Maly Mail in English?

AHHHHHH retardation.

Tracy said...

Since you created Novelr, have you written any blooks? Would love to read them if you have any.

Aquavires said...

*salute*

You are one heckuva fellow, you know that? :-P First the UGS community, then this... what else is there that I'm not aware of?

Eli James said...

@Tracy: The first draft of one is with Sam. She hasn't returned it to me.

@Thanks, Sze Howe. There are a few other things ... but I don't generally tell of my projects until I'm fairly sure I'll be able to work them for the long term.

Expect, however, to hear of a music-related project sometime in the next two years.