Welcome to the personal blog of student,
writer and occasional bum Eli James. More...

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Shenanigans

It is MUET class again and the whole class is involved in a lively discussion about the lower six. We do this in order to do as little class work as possible. It succeeds every time.

"I think the girls this year are more beautiful." Mdm Kong says. She appears not to notice the girls in my class; they stop whatever they're doing to stare at her. "Look at L6S2 - some of them very sweet looking."

"Yah." says Teck Chaw, "the girls in our year all so ugly wan."

The class erupts into protest and laughter and Nyuk Choo shouts "KILL HIM!" in Mandarin.

"Teacher we still haven't seen your niece." I say. This is pure cheek - she was boasting about Melissa's beauty before the mid terms and naturally we were all curious as to what kind of beauty this was. (Later we find out that it is the fair skin, big eyes, slim and willowy kind, but for the moment we have only a description to work with).

"Eh?" Mdm Kong says. She does not understand the angle I'm taking yet, but the rest of the class are grinning like idiots, even the girls.

"Teacher I think I fall in love already." says Teck Chaw.

It clicks now and Mdm Kong lectures us about the futility of relationships in Form 6 ("You know all the - what yuu call it? - emotions. Very distracting. Yes."). She tells us it affects us emotionally and she hopes Melissa will only get a boyfriend after university. Then, after we have exhausted the topic, she starts on how she doesn't like men who sweet talk.

"My mother always told me don't trust sweet talks -" (Tay chuckles as she says this) "-my husband never say I love you. Of my two boyfriend last time the first one like to sweet talk a lot. Don't like it."

"So teacher you only got two boyfriends?" Teck Chaw asks.

"Yes."

"And the second one become your husband?"

"Yes."

"So when did you have your first boyfriend?"

The features on Mdm Kong's face suddenly rearrange themselves: they switch from surprise to discomfort and finally settle on embarrassment.

"Uh." she says. "In Form 6."

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Talk about mother crab asking baby crab to walk straight...

Eli James said...

Hehehehehe.

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!!!!!

Evelyncyl said...

LOL. Sporting teacher you have there. Don't even mind to digress into the BGR topic in class. hehe.

Tracy said...

Ah, after reading your extremely entertaining post, I do have some questions.

Do you sweet talk, Ced? If you do, are you going to take your teacher's advice from now on?

Have you had a girlfriend yet? If no, do you plan to follow your teacher's advice (although it is a bit rich coming from somebody who has done the deed, haha)? If yes, again, do you intend on being an exemplary student and following the teacher's advice instead?

Do answer them. I'm expecting some very interesting answers.

:-)

Zhang BeiHai said...

lol

Eli James said...

@random passer by: glad you liked it. =)

@Evelyn: Hehehe. She wasn't so sporting as we were evil. Go figure. =)

@Tracy: Ahh. Good one. Let's see ...

1, I don't sweet talk. I adore wit, see, but wit and sweet talk don't go together. And anyway sweet talk does require a certain degree of corniness, no?

2, Ehehhe. No, don't have a girlfriend. And I don't bother with my teacher's advice about form 6 and emotions ...

=)

Eli James said...

@Paul: yeah. lol indeed.

Tracy said...

Your second answer. Does it mean what I think it means with regards to your teacher's advice on Form 6 and emotions? Does it mean if you (gasp) finally succumb to the curse or blessing, whichever way you look at it, that is the Cupid's arrow in Form 6, your teacher's advice goes out the window?

And yet again, I await your answer in bated breath.

Eli James said...

Urm. Yes. It means what you think it means. *grins*

And you must note that I don't actually care what that teacher says. She crossed paths with me and ... well that's not generally a good idea.

Tracy said...

Don't care? Crosses path? Not a good idea? Oh, do you dislike her?

Eli James said...

Urm. Tracy you do know that my blog is read by quite a few of my teachers? They follow it religiously to see if I mention their names in my stories, or if there's any pictures of them.

I'll tell you this particular one sometime, but not on this blog. (It involves school politics and debate so yeah. Go figure).

And, yes, I don't really listen to advice about emotional management and love. Coz I think I manage my emotions well enough. I might be mistaken though. Cupid is one dangerous fellow.

Tracy said...

Oh, forgive my stupidity and gaffe. I really wasn't thinking. It was dumb to put you in such an uncomfortable position. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha. BANG.

Oops.

Something backfired. =P

saykhia said...

Haha. Never knew Mdm Kong to be one to openly discuss such issues!

p/s: Interesting interrogation by Tracy.

Tracy said...

Aldrin, if you ever need someone to conduct or help in an interrogation, call me. I generously offer my expertise for free. Haha.

Eli James said...

@Tracy: no need to worry la. You were not stupid or gaffe (wth is that word?) ... and you didn't know. Ask me when we meet up.

@Ember: hehehehe.

@Aldrin: it's more of the class. We force it upon her; she'd better be ready to talk about it. =)

Tracy said...

Ah, let me enlighten you. You would know if you are a rabid fan of historical romance novels (did I just shock you?), so because you are not, unlike me, it is normal if you are clueless when it comes to that word.

Loosely transalated (I'm no dictionary), it roughly means blunder, misstep or faux pas.

In historical romance novels, social gaffe is a popular term used, to describe the faux pas commited by the characters.

Eli James said...

Lol! You HAVE to get MSN or something. Chatting through comments is just ... weird.

Anonymous said...

cedric can't sweet talk! And cedric won't get a gf. Right?! Cedric is a good boy. A good boy who studies hard and does muet and physics. Hehe :p

Eli James said...

Eeeh, Jyl! I hate that Cedric is a good boy thing. (And yeah, I can't sweet talk).

Perhaps I shall die my hair pink, next!

Anonymous said...

pink? feminine MUCH?! :P

Max said...

HAHAHA!!! ROFL xD

Garrick said...

Lol, I won't know what to say if u really dye ur hair pink. :P

Aquavires said...

I presume the class exploded in more laughter and teasing after the final line? ^^;;

This post reminded me that you're a great storyweaver, Ced... how everything builds up to that final line. (I blame my English classes for my hopelessly analytical mind)

Eli James said...

Thanks, Sze Howe. That comment made my day. =)

Anonymous said...

:D:D:D:D

EHEHEHEHEHEHEHHEHEHE...One heck of a teacher:D

Eli James said...

Oh, heck is a pretty good word to describe this situation ...

Glad you liked it, Ida. =)