So yeah. I've lost count of the number of people asking me why I got banned from Judo, so I guess an explanation is in order.
Shortly after the gathering I told my parents that I had to go to Judo the next day. It was 12 in the morning, I was cranky and in severe need of sleep (apart from gaying Daniel up I had gone to the state gym and was aching in places where boys do not want to ache) and I wasn't very diplomatic. I yelled down the stairs: "Oi tomorrow I need to go Judo aa!"
Now you may not know my parents, so let me introduce you to them. My parents are as Malaysian as they come - they are Chinese, they are old enough to be cynical of Bolehland, and they are very, very exam oriented. I had warned them earlier that this coming sem exams wasn't going to be anything nice to look at, and, yes, dear son would study over the hols. They latched on to that - "How the hell are you going to study if you go Judo!? NO MORE!" and after 10 minutes of yelling up and down the stairs I slammed the door and made two calls and went to sleep.
That was the end of the conversation. Ultimatum. No turning back. Shuddap and study.
I had known for ages, though, that I'd have to stop Judo in the middle of the academic year ... the only question was when. This question was now answered, and the most I could get from them was one last day at training, to settle all the outstanding Judo stuff I had yet to do.
I told Sensei shortly after changing into my gi. We sat down by the windows, the rest of the state team warming up, and I explained to him what had happened the night before. He kept quiet as I talked, looking away from me in that thoughtful manner of his, and he turned back only to reply.
"It's a pity, really." he said, squinting in the sunlight, "You're doing quite well."
The rest of the training session I could feel his gaze like a solid thing, watching as I tried a new variation of Osotogari I had worked out in my head the week before; watching as I did moving uchikomi; watching as I did free throws. I guess I represented to him all that was screwed up with our education system - an athlete shows promise, then the exam oriented society steps in and smashes any chance that athlete has of doing well. But that's life, isn't it? You take the chips you get and you move on. Swallow and look ahead. Stand tall.
At the start of 2008 I told myself that I wanted 3 things. One of those things was to represent Sarawak in Judo.
I did, one month ago, for the Nationals.
And I suppose that's enough. I mean, I've done loads for one year - I've set up what Ravin started, that Thomian debate club; I've trained a new generation of debaters; I've redesigned and rebooted The Square; I've dealt with enough teacher politics to last anyone a lifetime. One outing for Sarawak in 2008 is wonderful stuff - God I thank you - and I'm not going to complain.
So maybe it is for the best. Maybe when I'm done and finished with 2008 I'll look back and say: "Yes, it was all worth it." It'll be something to look forward to, but it'll be for later. Now I've got to get myself together and start studying my ass off.
Till that day.
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Compromise
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

26 comments:
wow cedric. this is so sad and touching. i dunno what to say liao la.. hmm.. hope u do incredibly well in ur semesters and show ur parents that u rock!
=)
Eeek Ced, now I feel really really bad for you. Gosh, I am at lost for words as well....
All good things have to come to an end, but you'll never know when better things will happen.
Let's find out.
@Dan, it's okay. Judo is like my lover, and if I'm okay with leaving her you should be, too.
@Tracy: =) Welcome to this blog. No words needed.
@Tze Lun: Yeah. Let's hope that won't be too long in the making.
Wow...to be seperated from something you love, that's horrible.
But you're right in your achievements though. Remarkable, nonetheless. =)
Thank you, nic.
大好きな事を分かれたことは悲しいと思いますね。。。。
でも、一年の時間は短いのですから、あきらめなくて、がんばってくださいよ、Cedric-君!!!!僕や、みんなもいつも貴方を応援しているのですよ!!!!
Romaji: Daisuki na koto o wakareta koto wa kanashii to omoimasu ne...
Demo, ichinen no jikan wa mijikainodesu kara, akiramenakute, ganbattekudasai yo, Cedric-kun. Buko ya, minna mo itsumo anata o ouen shiteirunodesu yo!!!!
The message: It is indeed hard for us to separate from things that we love most...
But, one year is finishing up soon so work hard and don't give up. Everyone will support you until the end!!!!!
ps: ちょっと長くて、疲れた!You know why I want to write in 日本語?柔道は日本の文化だから!!!!
Zhe Rong, here's the part where I knock you on your head for showing off.
Japanese! Egads!!!
*Head rolling on floor*
今休み中なので、暇だったのですから、日本語を書くつもりだった~~
(I am still in hols and I got plenty of time, so I feel like writing in Japanese~~~)
LOL Japanese spam.
ps: Egads?
Egads is an exclamation. I think one day you'll explain what you just wrote word by word. Till then ... whoosh.
sigh. poor thing. to be seperated frm your passion... hm..... sigh... study hard ced :) it's all going to be over soon.
im sorry ced. i shudn't haf ask. but i guess it's hard to depart from a love you love dearly. but cont to stay strong & fight a good fight. Den no1 will take away the dearest frm u. i wish u all the best this year. God bless ya :)
@Jyl: thanks. Yes, it will.
@Max: no worries la. On the bright side I can probably go youth again. That's ... good, right?
Awww.....
Well, you can always pick up Judo again in the future can't you? It's alright if you don't now; see this as a break from Judo, where you concentrate on your studies. Then next time when you're free to do as you like, you can pick up where you left off.
It'll be alright.
Your post reminds me of the way I blog sometimes. Wondering, reflecting...
Hehe. Yeah. Blood is either thicker than water or we're just very emo people. ;P
hey ced...
do cheer up ok? I know its a biggie for you to put judo aside, since it has become something you are so passionate about. But thats life, good things do not last, and more than often things do not go the way we so desperately wanting them to.
Teachers politics?
Have you heard the famous story of me VS Mr tilai (the useless old PK HEM)...... and in the end he apologized to me?
Ahahahaa, u sure no one dealt with teachers politics more than you? You do not know me quite well just yet. I had quite a reputation u know.
What? Unbelievable, your wondrous response also. In dealing with a passion gone usually there is more than just a tantrum. Not many will have such a mature viewpoint. No, no, don't swallow
@Robin: I am cheering up! Happie happie try to be happie! ;P No, I'm afraid I haven't. I bet it's a good story, though, so tell me when we finally meet up. =)
@Paul: I won't swallow. It's just ... well I was numb, and I was tired, so I reasoned it out to myself why it wasn't such a bad thing. And I prayed. Prayer helps.
Sad moment for you I see. Well, we all have to lose something once in a while but thats not a reason to stop.
So yeah, live on to the fullest dude.
I will, Reening. Thanks.
very sorry to hear that.
"(apart from gaying Daniel up I had gone to the state gym and was aching in places where boys do not want to ache)"
You were aching in THOSE places because of state gym... or because of Daniel??
HEHE
Thanks, Andrew.
@Dan: FROM GYM LA. HAIYO YOU.
Cela est la vie. Ne pas renoncer cela facilement. Bonne chance :)
:|
Japanese, now French. Err ... thanks, Garrick (waddya say?)
*mumbles: I need language classes of my own*
I said that's life. Don't give up that easily. Good luck. lol
Post a Comment