Welcome to the personal blog of student,
writer and occasional bum Eli James. More...

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Under 15 Team Competition (Piala Presiden 1)

When I got to Chung Hwa No.1 Sarawak was already involved in the messy affair of losing. They told me Chong was thrown as he tried to get up, and the ref didn't do anything about it. Chong is one of the first Under-15s to have joined Sarawak Judo. He has a wicked Seoinage like you won't believe, only he had no chance to use it.

I sighed.

Both Sarawak teams were up against Malaccan Central judokas. They had cute girls like you won't believe really good spirit. One Malaccan ah mah was in the front all the way through, yelling at her boys.

Rough translation from Mandarin: "You wait fiiiirst! Wait fiiiiirst then enter! Don't simply waste energyyyyy!!!"


Our judokas were better. Stronger. Faster. I know that from personal experience - having sparred with the U-15s. But the Malaccan judokas made up with their sheer spirit. They had a drive to win, and you could tell that from the look on their faces as they stepped onto the mat.


One in particular looked like a gangster out of control.

Charlton was glowering by the time that match ended. "That green belter play like c**** wan. You know before, my leg injured, their coach come and say 'No worry, you'll be alright.' Then when we play, he tell them to kick my leg. And they keep on sasai that leg only!"

"Hey, you didn't do so bad wad ... there was one part in the match where you went into guard position -"

"I know! He press down on my leg then lah!" Charlton spat. "You think I care so much? I don't care shido or disqualify, I feel like letting go and punching him in the face ..."



The Malaccans won, of course. There was one match where it was Malaccans vs Malaccans, and one side completely ipponed the other. For points. Which was really smart of them.

"What are they doing? Practicing how to fall, izzit?" Frankie said. He collected his team's forms from the official table, laughed, and went off with his back to the mat.


Whatever it was that happened you had to give the Malaccans some respect. They played well - rather defensive, but when they saw the opportunity they went in for it. And their spirit was astounding. The tiny ones didn't even flinch when they had to go up against a Sarawakian Goliath. (That was Brendan, if you're wondering, who can throw even me. Whoosh.)

And us Sarawakians weren't completely bad. After losing the first round they went up and pulled off a number of fantastic throws. Ali did a nice Uchimata, and Chong did two beautiful Seoinages (one of them in the video below):



We gathered in the Chung Hwa dojo for the weighing-in ceremony for tomorrow's match. Sensei came in and sat us down in a circle, and he spoke.


"When I saw some of you laughing out there on the mat, I felt like crying."

As he continued we grew quiet. We looked at the floor, wiggled our toes.

"When I first saw Douglas, Chong and Ali, I thought to myself: 'Ahh. In a few years time this will be the people who will clean all the medals.' Back then if I saw potential I would train them. Try to turn you people in champions. Now? Now if you come I'm already very happy."

Tang and I shot glances at each other. As first gen under Sensei we knew what he was talking about, and it wasn't nice to hear.

"Back in my time it was a big thing to represent your state. A huge responsibility. Now it seems Church Camp is more attractive, even when you've already signed up for the Piala."

"Church Camp got pretty girl." said Max.

We sighed in unison.

The Thomians, plus Tim, Benjamin and Brendan

Tomorrow is the senior's turn, and we intend to do our very best.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

WTF! Johan did better than charlton?

Eli James said...

Johan has better spirit. But I'd say they're almost the same.